This week I had to write a job description for my boss:
Patient Care Coordinator (aka Receptionist)
- Schedule patient appointments.
- Answer phones, take and distribute messages, greet and check in patients, manage emailed communications with patients.
- Manage requested schedule changes for existing patients, updating wait-list spreadsheet to document patients’ availability and expedite flow of new patient appointments.
- Send welcome letters to patients at the start of therapy to reinforce polices and confirm scheduling arrangements.
- Assist in notifying patients when provider is not available.
- Build provider schedules and adjust as needed. Document time-off requests.
- Communicate with clinical and administrative staff regarding the status of discharged patients and those reengaging in therapy.
- Check new patient paperwork for completeness and accuracy.
- Maintain and manage patient records. Scan documents, label and import documents to patient accounts, assemble charts. Scan and disassemble discharged charts.
- Work to convert existing charts to EMR.
- Take copays and coinsurance payments on check-in, over the phone, and via electronic transfer.
- Process EFT insurance and HSA payments as needed, apply to accounts.
- Pick up, open, and distribute mail and faxes.
- Prepare and address statements and claim forms, mail them out.
- Get new privacy policies signed annually.
- Assist in tracking new referrals, authorizations, and prescriptions as needed.
- Fulfill requests for chart notes, reports, and other medical records.
- Track patient attendance. Send letters to address attendance issues. Track no-show fees.
- Administrative support to clinicians and staff as needed.
- Billing support as needed.
- Maintain library and track the loan of clinic materials.
- Assist in maintaining printed forms for staff.
- Maintain waiting room: straighten up, clean windows, vacuum, update reading materials, clean chairs and toys, sweep foyer, maintain waiting room signs.
- Maintain bathrooms: regularly stock paper products and soap, take out trash and recyclables.
- Clean doors and windows in treating areas and throughout the clinic.
What do you do when you do what you do?